So, Adult mid-term break is coming… How many times have you received “…hope you’re coming to visit me this holiday” calls?
Say no with all the humility you can muster – except it is the in-laws and you need to be on your best behavior… Or, your boss inviting you for Easter lunch/dinner… Stress.
How you wan do am?
Anyway, if you do get that one day to sleep-in (YOU NEED IT) – Friday or Monday, here’s what you can do after you wake up at 4:30am because internal clocks be damned! If you can go back to sleep immediately, good for you! If not…
- Get up and lay your bed – Because, as you lay your b…zzz! You get it.
- Workout – Yes, I know it is a rest day and working out can make you feel very alert… However, I believe in stepping up to step down. A good workout makes me feel so good, good enough to fall asleep instantly. If this does not work, try the post work-out smoothie in number 3. Even the SuperPanda agrees.
- Warm Bath – A warm bath post-workout usually helps ease my sore muscles. I mean, I drink warm ginger and honey when my voice is gone and my throat is sore – It should work for my entire body, ba?
The only issue with my warm baths is that the water in the bucket gets cold one way or another… If you have a bath tub, I envy you right now… Soak in Epsom Salts (N50 a satchet from your pharmacy down the road, except you live in Lekki) and watch yourself become a soft ball of mush. *sigh*
- Wear your comfortable sleep clothes – This is not going to be any ordinary sleep sha, so you better be appropriately dressed for this! If you’re comfortable in your own skin, by all means…
(TIP: Wear socks)
- Set the mood – Candles? Movie? Music? Quiet? Whatever defines your mood… SET IT! You’re taking care of yourself, girl (or guy, no vex)!
- A Smoothie – Revitalize your sleepy self with this very delicious yummy smoothie recipe that will send you to sleep so fast… If this doesn’t work, abeg consult your physician!
- A Cup of Warm Milk (BBC Good Food says – “Dairy products are rich in the amino acid tryptophan, which helps in the production of the sleep inducing brain chemicals, serotonin and melatonin.”
- 4 small bananas (Caring.com says – “Potassium and magnesium are natural muscle relaxants, and bananas are a good source of both. They also contain the amino acid L-tryptophan, which gets converted to 5-HTP in the brain. The 5-HTP in turn is converted to serotonin (a relaxing neurotransmitter) and melatonin.”
- Honey (Qty: shinkuli)
Pulse all the ingredients in your regular blender, smoothie maker for 45 seconds to a minute. If you ain’t gat any of these, drink the milk + honey and eat the bananas!
(TIP: Make the smoothie before you workout!)
- Put down your devices – Take a picture of your space if you are so inclined. If not, put it down! Now.
(TIP: close your eyes – No, I’m serious. It really works)
If you are still awake after this, seriously, consult The Great Physician.
I hope you enjoyed this post as much as you’re going to enjoy your rest-filled holiday?
Vivian – The Alaroro Shopaholic!