We always say things like: “I don’t have enough clothes. No, really. I don’t”. The question I’ll ask you is this: How many clothing items do you own? Do you know? So, how do you know that you don’t have enough clothes?
Now, we know that you do not know. What should you do?
First, we redefine your style. So, let’s say the last time you went on a major clothing haul, you were in Uni and had no need for corporate wear (except, you went to CU, hi!).
What defines you now? Where do you spend most of your time? Do you have clothes to suit that activity? Case: You work 12 hours a day in a corporate environment, 6 days a week and you have more aso-ebi than work wear. Problem? Yes!
What next? Let’s get to work on your closet!
- Pick a day. Preferably a work-free, commitment-free day. For a lot of us, this is not Saturday. I pick Sunday though. I’m back from church at 8:30am, so I have the time!
- Arm yourself! A Notebook. Pen. Music. Let’s get to work.
- Bring out ALL your clothes – yes, even the ones in the laundry basket.
- Categorise your clothes! Tops, Bottoms, Accessories (Lingerie, Jewelry, Bags fall here) and Shoes. Yes guys, you can do this too!
- Start counting. Fill in each item under its respective category and you can tag with colour or style. For example, you can have under tops. 1 Ankara Halter Neck, 1 Black shirt.
- Would you buy any of your clothes now? If yes, how much? If you buy it, do you have something to pair it with? Answer all these questions for each item!
What’s next? Do the needful:
- Give away or Keep. Amend/Adjust items that still suit your style and are useful for your current phase in life, but give away everything that does not suit you or you will not wear! Keep the absolute necessities. For the items that are definite NOs, find something useful to do with them! P.S ChristmasOnTheStreetZ is coming soon, so feel free to donate clothes!
- Hang your clothes. Lesson Learned. Hanging helps. It is easier to remember what you have when your clothes are hung. Folded clothes/clothes in boxes are very very easy to forget.
- You need as many basics or staples as you can afford. You need a black pencil skirt much more than you need that Sky Blue Bodycon Zip hip-serving Skirt. The Grey pumps are more important than the yellow ones right now. These basics give you room to create as many looks and styles as possible. Why? They go with everything. I’m not asking you to go all Shirley-esque with that sexy minimalist style, especially if that’s not your style. Just make sure you know how to do 1+1 with your style, before you enter Almighty Formula.
- Do this regularly. It guides your spending habits and puts your whole life in order.
This Alaroro Shopaholic life ehn…
Half Hugs, Air Kisses and Discounts,