So far, we have been through 3 exercises that have brought us to our Goals for 2017 and even, the rest of our lives. What kind of goals did you set? Do you want to know how you can achieve them? Well, that’s what this post about. Giving you tips to help you achieve your goals.
Let’s get into it:
- See the Goal: This is my fav because it allows you to put up a Painted Picture of your goals in the form of a Vision Board. The Law of Attraction (Have you read or watched The Secret?) concerning vision boards is that what you see is what you get. You are motivated to do more and be more when you see what you actually want to do. I will be putting up a guide on how to build your Vision Board physically or digitally via Power Point/Word or Canva, if you feel you can’t do the paper-scissors option.
- Define your milestones – So, yes you have the big dream. The big goal. I am going to lose 20kg. I am going to save N1 million. I want to segba, I want to sawo. You have thought, reasoned and dreamed, and you have arrived at the main goal. Now, write down the steps. The greatest benefit to listing your step-by-step action plan makes your goals appear more realistic and achievable. When you see the steps, you know the process and you can work to check off each step and milestone as you go along. This helps you make it real.
- Time your milestones: Put a time to it or you may never move your butt. If by January 2018, Lola must have at least N600,000 in savings (not her emergency fund)- this simply means that by the end of every month, Lola must save N50,000 at least. Lola has put a time to her milestones – Save N50,000 monthly. You need to time yourself.
- Have an Accountability Partner: Sisters and Brethren, no man is an island. It is so easy to fall by the wayside if you do not have someone going on the journey with you. For my savings goal, I have 2 sisters walking the journey with me. We even worked out a money-cycle (ajo) method to keep us on track. You do not have to have the same accountability partner(s) for every goal. Just ensure that you (a) find people with similar goals (b) people who are within easy access of you and vice-versa (c) pick partner(s) who are able to call you out on your BS and (s) preferably, go with friends. It is painful to watch yourself grow and leave your friends behind.
- Do One Thing Every Day: You have your milestones, you see the steps. Do tone thing that makes reaching your goal easier everyday. For a lot of us, it might just be saying NO to ____________ and saying YES to ________ (fill in the blanks). For those with savings goals, SAVE FIRST and spend the rest. DO NOT PLAY WITH THAT. Trust me, it is so easy to find other uses for idle money. If you have Health and Fitness goals, preparing for your workout the night before and waking up earlier helps. If you have Spiritual Goals, pray/meditate on the commute to work if you have to rush out of the house. Just make sure, you do one thing everyday that will help you build the habits you need to achieve your goals.
- Celebrate each milestone: I am here for this, all day everyday. If Lola saves N50,000 in the month of January – Lola deserves a reasonable treat. Something to remind her that she is a great girl and she can do more. You should celebrate your milestones! Please and please, do not celebrate your milestones with activities that may set back your goals e.g. save 50k and buy a 60k pair of shoes. M.A.D. Don’t do it.
Now, it is time for the giveaway! I got this lovely Life Planner as a gift from a dear friend for my birthday. It is the HDHQ Goods life planner, by Dee Mako. Trust me when I say this is a great tracker for your goals, milestones in every area of your life. I will do a proper review of this planner later in the year, but now you have a chance to win one! If you are in Lagos (or you have someone that can pick up for you in Lagos), you can enter.
- Make sure you are subscribed to the blog
- Comment Below with the following:
- What’s your name?
- What colour is the planner I’ll be giving away? (It is not the same colour as mine o! Check the HDHQ goods page on IG for the other colours o)
- Tell us one thing you will be doing differently this year.
- There are 4 topics in the Own This Year series. List all 4!
Hi, my name is Viv. The colour of the Life Planner is: burnt orange with a splash of cocoyam white. This year, I plan to eat more vegetables than ever before to give my skin that glow from within. The 4 topics in the series are:
All the best!
Love and Light,