Long time no see.
Here are some links to random things I have enjoyed this past week!
- This little lie made a huge difference in someone’s life!
- Love this smart answer to a tricky question!
- An amazing short film that you really do not want to miss: Bariga Sugar
- Throwing it all the way back with Integrity Music classics – Paul Wilbur’s Shalom Jerusalem and Jerusalem Arise
- Maju did that! Maju Did That! Check out the new Maju collection here.
- I recently discovered Life Church, thanks to abxola on Twitter and I have walked into love with this ministry. Totally check them out.
- Oh yeah, we got married! lol. There are a number of blogposts doing Chinese Whispers with our story. Appaz, Niks, Wendy and I have been besties from childhood. Awksy.
Vows: with my body, I adore you; with my worldly possessions and goods, I endow you. So, we all got married today! we’ve grown over the past few years from friends to family. From L-R: The SIs, The AFs & The AKs. May the Almighty God give us the grace to do and be and give the best to our partners. ❤️
I hope you enjoyed this! See you again in a few days.
Love and Light,
Chaos or Peace?
Bedlam or Heaven?
Try not to freak out.
Hopefully, you and your partner have been talking marriage before today and the question did not spring up on you suddenly. If yes, well Congratulations! If no, well… Congratulations!
If you’re like me with less than a year to plan a beautiful wedding, here’s a chair, let’s bawl together.
I am 5 Months in — 1 year of active discussion with both families so, this was a formality. I shared the details of Ade Mi’s proposal here. A really really really important formality. Anyhoo, enough of the drama and let’s get into it!
After your engagement, what should you do?
Ho Ho Ho!
Christmas is the most wonderful time of the year, but it is easy to forget or deny… The cost of giving gifts, the absence of loved ones, the Nigerian economic situations, sad memories, e.t.c
A good way to really get into the Christmas is to GIVE! Yes! Give of your time, your money and other treasures.
My favourite thing to do during the Christmas break is to binge on movies. Turn off the lights. AC on high. Just watch movies. This year, I started a little early because I discovered a whole new world of Hallmark Christmas movies on YouTube.
Anyway, here’s a list of 25 Christmas movies you must watch.
- Home Alone 3 – Enough of Macaulay Culkin for a minute and meet this kid who got a Christmas present and kasala wants to burst because these terrorists picked the wrong toy. Roger Ebert thought this was refreshing and I totally agree with him.
- Home Alone 1 and 2 – Because, if you’re alone this Christmas you need to spend some time with Macaulay Culkin!
- Miracle On 34th Street – Kris Kringle and Matilda-girl. Kris is trying to make Doris’ belief in Santa Claus but make her young daughter’s wishes come true, all while trying to prove his identity in a court of law.
- How The Grinch Stole Christmas – A bitter Grinch who comes to the realization that Christmas, perhaps, means a little bit more” than just presents and feasting.
- Finding Father Christmas – Miranda wants to know who her dad is. Ian is helping her out. A + B means this is her dad. She is falling in love with Ian. Will she tell the truth or leave?
- A Wish For Christmas – Don’t limit yourself. Don’t let anyone take advantage of you at work. Watch Santa help Sara Shaw prove herself and take her place in 48 hours or less!
- Gremlins – “Don’t expose him to bright light. Don’t ever get him wet. And don’t ever, ever feed him after midnight.” – Remember those lines? – People that do not listen to instructions deserve whatever they get.
- Love Actually – Every awkward love story you have ever heard of is brought together in this film.
- Jingle All The Way – Small gift o. Ordinaray gift o. Two grown men want to beat each other. This is why you should always prep for Christmas way ahead of time.
- An Arthur Christmas – How does Santa deliver all those presents in one night? Appaz, Santa is a high-tech guy! Watch this movie and follow Arthur on his journey to save Christmas.
- Elf – Buddy was accidentally taken to the North Pole as a kid and was raised by Santa’s elves. Unable to shake the feeling that he doesn’t fit in, the adult Buddy travels to New York, in full elf uniform, in search of his real father. As it happens, this is Walter Hobbs (James Caan), a cynical businessman. After a DNA test proves this, Walter reluctantly attempts to start a relationship with the childlike Buddy with increasingly chaotic results
- Last Holiday – Queen Latifah liquidates her assets and goes on a holiday of a lifetime because she’s been told that she has a few weeks to live. Side Note: I want to live life to the fullest like that. Everyday.
- A Christmas Kiss (YouTube) – Why would you kiss a stranger in an elevator because Mistletoe? Oyinbo people do the most and then fall in love. Hmph. He is however her billionaire boss’s brothers… Well, her billionaire boss too.
- A Royal Christmas (YouTube): Would you forgive and believe that a Prince was not just slumming when he lied about his identity for over A YEAR? Watch her forgive and go with him to meet his mom – who hates her btw.
- The Chronicles of Narnia: The Lion, the Witch, and the Wardrobe – Yes ASLAN! For all the right reasons and more. CS Lewis
- The Nightmare Before Christmas– One of the coolest animated musicals ever.
- Miracle on 34th Street (The Oldie) – Kris Kringle all over again, but this time the original tearjerker.
- Serendipity – This woman refused to let the magic of Christmas blind her to believing in love at first sight. Smart Woman. However, stupid way of exchanging numbers *rme*
- A Very Murray Christmas
- My Christmas Love – Who does not want anonymous 12 days of Christmas gifts? This lovelorn sister is trying to find out who might be sending her gifts and if he is worth building a future with.
- Christmas Cookies (Hallmark) – This babe was sent by her company to go and buy out a small-town Cookie factory owned by a woman who died and handed it over to her nephew. Nephew guy can’t afford to manage the costs, so he has to sell.
- Beauty and the Beast: The Enchanted Christmas – Ayeeee. We are back at the enchanted castle to meet the crazzzzzzy Grand Piano guy who is trying to ruin Christmas. Belle must have her way and Angelique is the cutest thing everrrrrr. One of my fav Christmas songs ever is in this movie…“As long as there’s Christmas, I truly believe that hope is the greatest of the gifts we’ll receive”
- Polar Express: Swear Silverbird Cinemas ran this ad forever! A young boy goes on a Magical train ride that will change his life.
- The Muppet Christmas Carol – Awon Kermit fans. This is a beautiful movie that you will absolutely enjoy. Not every time Inner Kermit.
- The Perfect Git – Because, what is Christmas without Jesus?
25. The Nativity Story – What is Christmas without a willing young woman and a forgiving Carpenter?
So, this was supposed to be a birthday post, but life happened. I, however, did a review of my year on Stories.ng! Click here to read it!
Anyway, here goes…
1. What is your middle name?
2. My favourite subject at school?
Math. It was straightforward.
3. What is your favourite drink?
Water. H2O (the fizzy drink).
4. What is your favourite song at the moment?
Nathaniel Bassey | Like a Symphony
5. What is your favourite food?
6. What is the last thing you bought?
7. Favourite book of all time?
The Bible. I keep going back to it, no matter how far away I stray.
8. Favourite Colour?
9. Do you have any pets?
Nope. Well, in my father’s house… YES! I’ll have a cute pup when I start my family.
10. Favorite Perfume?
Guerlain – Little Black Dress | Lancôme – La Vie est Belle
11. Favourite Holiday?
Christmas. Are you excited?
GUESS WHO IS GETTING MARRIED SOON?! ME!
14. Do you speak any other language?
Other than English? I’ve got Yoruba and barely there French.
15. How many siblings do you have?
16. What is your favorite shop?
I don’t have one.
17. Favorite restaurant?
Read This: That time I took the Lover out without money
18. When was the last time you cried?
Sunday, 11th December.
19. Favourite Blog?
I love Bloglovin, because it has exposed me to a million and one blogs. If I had to choose, my fav blog right now is KacheeTee.com. Stop by there, your spirit will be lifted.
20. Favourite Movie?
Ah… Hmm… Can I skip this? No? Okay…
My favourite movies are old musicals. I actually do not think there is a musical I do not like yet. So… yeah.
Fav Animation? Anastasia with Meg Ryan and John Cusack. That one. I love it.
21. Favorite TV shows
None. Well, Glee was a favourite.
22. PC or Mac?
23. What phone do you have?
24. How tall are you
25. Can you cook?
Do I like cooking? Ah. Well. Story for another day. However, check out this recipe of my fav wrap!
10 9 days to my birthday and I am super-duper excited – also scared because I thought I’d be Forever Young!
This year has been an EXPERIENCE, and I have so much to be thankful for.
Today is the 1st anniversary of The Alaroro Shopaholic blog. This time last year, I put up my first blogpost! Click here to read it! Happy Birthday to my baby-blog. My prayer for you is found in Luke 2:52 – Grow in wisdom and in stature! I’ll put up another post, where I’ll be taking stock of this year next week + a giveaway!
Anyway, I decided to share my wishlist with you guys just in case you want to send me a gift or two.
- Black Pumps – Seriously! I have one pair of Black Pumps that I bought in 2013. If these shoes come back to life, they will run away from me. These shoes have been to interviews, met dignitaries, turned up, gone to church… Everything. Save them and get me a new pair! Size 42.
- A Wristwatch – I really want a new wristwatch, particularly something like this MVMT watch in black. Alternatives to this must be minimalist – 1 colour all through.
- Silver Sandals – LOL. I’m a bride-to-be, please. What other reason do you need? Size 42
- Fragrance – So, I want to try new fragrances! I am currently loving Lancome’s LA Vie est Belle, but I’d love to try the Hugo Boss – Boss the Scent for Her and Viktor and Rolf’s Flowerbomb!
- Flat Black Shoes – Other colours are welcome too, but let’s work with classy! Black Flats are the holy grail for comfort. Add fancy detailing and voila! You can be comfortable and stylish, all at once. Size 42, as always.
- Frames – I wear prescription glasses, but I do not believe they have to be boring. I plan to switch to contacts soon, so you can buy those fat and fancy (almost gaudy) Instagram Baddie frames and I’ll be able to rock ’em without paying for lenses. P.S. lenses are really cheap in Balogun, in fact I have reason to believe that many of our fancy eye clinics send their jobs to Balogun and charge us exorbitant prices! You can even get your photochromic and anti-glare lenses there. Dull not.
- African Literature – This is a sub, catch your sub. I don’t have a lot of physical books anymore and this makes me sad. Will I give my children e-books as an inheritance? I want more books. Fiction, African Fiction. I want to know if the stories told are as colourful as our experiences. Hi Raihannah.
- Bags – Particularly, structured bags. Black, Burgundy, Navy Blue. The power of a good bag cannot be overemphasised. Big enough to carry a 10″ laptop and smart enough to look sexy!
- A Staycation – My birthday is on a Friday and going to crash in a beautiful and comfortable hotel room till Sunday (or Monday sef) could be the best gift. I need that rest.
- Arm Candy – Beautiful bracelets like this one from Pandora or any other. Silver, Rose Gold, Gold or even Black. Stacks on stacks on stacks.
- Ego. Kudi. Owo. Argent. Dinheiro. Money 💰💰💰💰💰💰💰
- Peace. Wisdom. Growth. – This one is a request from my heart. God knows.
So, there’s your guide for my Birthday and Christmas gifts.
Also, if you want to wish me happy birthday on Social Media, record a video! Instead of putting up pictures of me, I’d like if you guys could record a video of you sending me sweet wishes! <3
Can you tell that I am really excited?! Super Stoked!
Happy Children’s Day.
What is your inner child missing today?
- PAYING NO BILLS ~ Like, can we talk about how adulthood is a scam and adults really do not know everything we assumed they knew? My inner child misses being free enough to see money as to have and to spend. This grown up life has you at to have, save, invest, worry… e.t.c I am sure my inner child is confused as to how and why I grew up to become a full time Alaroro. *sigh*
- The Edibles – Goody Goody, Bubble Gum, Okin Biscuit, Trebor, Baba Dudu, Ekana Gowon…
- The Drinks – Tandi Guarana, Solo Coke, the REAL Ribena!
- The Wearables –
- Computer Socks and Kito Sandals,
- Bata Shoes,
- The Games –
- Tinko Tinko,
- After Round One (How did you feel when you realized this was a very sexual song?)
- The jokes –
- I be Monkey B1B1,
- You mess…
- The Music
- Everydaaaaaaay, I think of yew
- I was going to be a member of a Girl Band.
- The Ads –
- WE NO GO GREE OH, WE NO GO GREE! BAGCO SUPER SACK, WE NO GO GREE
- Tell me wachu want, wachu really really want… I want a Maltina!!!
- Smooth and Delicious, and there’s only one place it’s gotta be … In my mouth! (*insert all suggestive smileys*)
- The Movies/TV Shows –
- The Never Ending Story – I found a torrent for these movies and I swear, I am ready to bingeeeee. My fantasies were built on this movie. Oh all the times I dreamt that I would read a book and be whisked off to a magical world… *sigh*
- Jaguar don get belle o, iyonyo, e go born tomorrow, iyonyo *twerks*
- The TV Stations –
- DBN (Are they still alive? Gist was that they aired Titanic without getting approval and they were shut down. True or False?),
- NTA 22222222222 Channel 5555555555, Ela Oju Kan
Enjoy the memories, guys! Be a child today or on Monday (HOLIDAY!!!)! If that’s too much for you, make a little child smile today.
Happy Children’s Day!
Feel free to add more memories below…
You know how I swear by Duolingo, ba? If you don’t, read this post and jump on the language wagon.
You know my SO is a Nigerian Capoeirista, ba? You don’t know? Oh. You can check out his IG and see short videos of him doing these (awesome) kicks and sequences.
Capoeira is a Brazilian martial art that combines elements of dance, acrobatics and music, and is sometimes referred to as a game.
To help himself get better with pronunciations of Capoeira terms, he’s taking Portuguese lessons and I’ve decided to join him. So today, we are:-
– Using the Duolingo app to learn Portuguese – This app is really awesome. Get it here (Android * iOs)
– Watching Portuguese short films – We started with ANA on YouTube
– listening to Portuguese music, as well. Kicked this off with Enrique Iglesias – Baliando (Portuguese Version)
– Now, we are on Sara Tavares – she’s giving me super soft vibes. I’m feeling her.
So, hop on the Language Learning train and explore a whole new world.
P.S. – I entered a giveaway to attend the Anita Brows Beauty Basic Beat Class (these words just made me smile – like AQuadrupuleBC – yah) and I won. So, I’ll be attending this class with Black Bae and I can’t wait to tell you guys about it.
Also, have you seen this Glenfiddich Whisky ad? I love it.
So, what are you up to today? What language are you interested in learning? I wanna know. Share this with me in the comments section!
Have a happy Saturday!
I don’t know if I believe in resolutions anymore – I need to know if this is a milestone in life, where you become so cynical – having no faith in your own self.
Anyway, I found this taking stock template here and I’m doing one for the birthday/the month as per, closing out/rounding off.
Reading: Nothing. If Emails count, then I’m reading something. A dear colleague gave me this book as a birthday present – I’ll be reading it when I go on leave, I promise.
Enjoying: Little Escapes. The lover and I have been taking mini-staycations in the past week (maybe because it was our birthday week). Dealdey Local Hotel deals have been a blessing to us. You can actually do weekday Staycations – a few tips to help you. 1) Pick a hotel that’s close to your office or against the flow of traffic. 2) Turn off your work mail. It is just one night. 3) Off 👏ya👏phone 4) Take a shower 5) Sink into that comfy bed and just chill 6) Wake early enough to have breakfast 7) Use Uber to get to work 8) Be happy.
Listening: to Justin Bieber’s Purpose. I can’t believe I’m a Belieber now. 😢 I used to think he was cute now, I think he understands. My top 3 songs are Purpose, What Do You Mean and Every other song on the album!
Anticipating: 10 Work-free days before I collapse. I’m really drained. Honestly. My creativity is not on fleek at the moment.
Holding: on to this promise – He never fails.
Remembering: God’s faithfulness this year. Lol. Have you read my review on Stories.ng? Check it out here.
Loving: the way everything is falling into place.
Preparing: for Christmasssssssssssssssssssssssssssss! Yasss!
Planning: a bomb 2016! After my phone call with Sisi on a Budget, I’m done with resolutions. There’s a better way to set goals and actually work towards achieving them.
Cooking: nothing. I miss cooking soups but we’ve been on a grilled chicken x complex carbs x veggies life. Recommend an ofe for me!
Wishing: I could afford all the things I want. Working on that!
Buying: Christmas presents/deals for my loved ones soon. I’ve been working in the heart of Lagos market so, I’m using this week to gather costs.
Liking: social media less and less. Scary. It’s not an outlet anymore. The world is always there to tell you that you are wrong – with bile and anger!
Building: a community through this blog. Subscribe and join the family!
Looking: at my dad. I hope I can have faith like this man. Unbelievable.
Missing: my phone. It has been hard living with a torchlight phone. Thank God for this iPad.
Playing: Hidden Objects: Mystery Crimes. This game is driving me nuts.
Drinking: a lot of water. It keeps the acid reflux down. 😀
Eating: a lot of chicken. ☺️☺️☺️
Helping: people see new ways to enjoy life.
Thanking: the Almighty for his mercies.
– the fam: for the love x support
– you all: for supporting the blog.
Here’s to a super-duper amazing end and a beautiful beginning.
My name is Vivian and I live in Lagos.
Born in Yaba.
Grew up in Railway Compound, Ebute Metta.
My schooling took me from St. Agnes, Yaba to Onike, Yaba (well, that’s where back gate was).
Then, service year in Ekiti and back to Lagos.
I’ve worked in GRA, Ikeja, Town Planning Way, Ilupeju, MM2 Road and now, I’m somewhere in Victoria Island.
So, what is the problem?
I don’t know Lagos.
No, really. Seriously. There are places I’ve never passed, seen, been to in this tiny tiny state.
How is that even possible?
I’m sorry. This apology is to myself and I’m sad that I put myself in a place like this.
I had high hopes for my 2015 vacation but, in my current state… Lol. LOL.
I still want a vacation. –
noun: vacation; plural noun: vacations
an extended period of recreation, especially one spent away from home or in traveling.
To getaway, to explore, to see new things and experience new things.
Well, Hello Lagos. I’ll be vacationing here.
I’ll draw up a list of places (I welcome recommendations) that I have never been to. Places that hold great meaning for the History of Lagos, for the Spirit of Lagos and I’ll plan to visit these places from July to September.
Every Saturday, someplace new. Someplace different.
I look forward to vacationing in Lagos.
Please, drop your recommendations in the comments. I’ll definitely look into visiting these places.
I look forward to #LearningLagos.
Where in Lagos have you had the most fun? Pleeeeeeeeeeease, recommend!